Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space. - Douglas Adams

9.19.2011

Talk Like a Pirate Day!


"The only rules that really matter are these: 'What a man can do.' and 'What a man can't do.' - Captain Jack Sparrow

Those lily livered codswallops in high sec might be talking the talk today, but I wonder if any of them will be scratching the itch to walk the walk?

Today being the revered holiday it is, I'll take the opportunity to spotlight some of my favorite pirate things.


My love of pirates started as a young child unwrapping a Lego pirate ship on Christmas morning. Looking back, I now remember this love of piracy extended to my Lego spaceships as well. I dubbed my flagship spacecraft "The Black Angel."

A few years later, still a young child, the family vacation led to Disney World and the famous Pirates of the Caribbean ride. I remember the ride had a great atmosphere, a touch scary to a kid so young.

Many years later, my love of pirates led me to Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast. This game had a great ship to ship battle system and some wonderfully cliched character designs.

Another great pirate videogame is the most recent, Sid Meier's Pirates! I love the main part of this game but the mini games get old quick. Still, taking over other ships and adding them to your fleet is great fun.

Yet another favorite is the story Tide of the Black Raider, from the Watchmen comic. This tale is a dark story of a man just trying to save his family from marauding pirates. I highly recommend this story and the Watchmen, too.

Finally, the first Pirates of the Caribbean film rounds out my list. Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow is a great departure from a traditional pirate character.

Now, I can add EVE Online to my list of favorite pirate things.

Take what you can, give nothing back! - Pepper

0 comments:

Speak your piece.